Atlanta Food Critic

Gourmandises, Suwanee GA

IMAG1302

IMAG1305

Snuggled discreetly at the end of strip mall in Suwanee (ITP folks, please GPS) is a wonderful French bistro known as Gourmandises.

As many Americans, we are unaccustomed to French cooking. I think primarily because of the lack of French restaurants in which we can experience this delight. I am pleased to announce that a small piece of France is now available right in our own backyard.

Gourmandises appears like  any other strip mall sandwich shop until you look at the menu. I thought there was a wide variety of attractive offerings but I always defer to “the special” if offered, which happened to be a crusted grouper and opted for a side salad and lobster bisque to accompany it.

IMAG1303

Melanie chose the KOBE burger on a baguette, also with a side salad and the lobster bisque.

IMAG1304

I’m not sure what we expected but our expectations were certainly met and surpassed! The Lobster Bisque was so good we were wanting this recipe! Rather than a thick tomato cream, this was a rich, flavorful broth that was absolutely delicious.

My grouper was delightful. The fish was cooked perfectly, flaky and tasty, and it was a very nice sized portion especially considering this was lunch! Melanie’s KOBE burger was just super! Again, large portion for lunch and seasoned so NICE!

Gourmandises is a jewel in the rough! Yes, it is WAY out there and trust me- rely on the GPS. We could see no roadside signs, the only signage is on the building so we almost missed it.

If you are at all inclined toward French cuisine or you are just looking for some great tasting food, you HAVE to visit Gourmandises! I normally sign off with “Guten appetit”, but in this case Bon appetit!

Gourmandises on Urbanspoon

Scan this QR Code with your phone to load into your GPS!

g-geo

Need a QR reader? Go to http://getQRreader.com on your phone

7 comments

1 Food near Snellville { 12.20.10 at 12:31 pm }

This restaurant has languished in the critical eye because the majority of food bloggers are inside the perimeter. They can’t be bothered to drive outside it to places far away, such as Suwanee. I feel at times as if Chloe and I are lone voices crying out in the OTP wilderness.

Now it’s three. And that’s good for the ATL in general.

FnS.

2 Atlanta Food Critic { 12.21.10 at 8:36 am }

Ha! They have NO IDEA what they’re missing! I like living OTP because the city is close enough to make the drive fairly easy yet I can also experience a rural lifestyle (rapidly disappearing).

I’ve also done a couple of reviews in Gainesville and several in Athens. We LIKE to get around!

Thanks for the kind comment!

3 Nini Pack { 03.01.11 at 11:38 am }

We love this restaurant!! My husband and I really, really love French food. Our favorite French restaurant in Atlanta was Brasserie le Coze at Lenox Mall, which we lived behind for several years and so we ate there several times a week. Brasserie of course, has since morphed into French American Brasserie (FAB), and moved downtown, while we moved waaaayy OTP, and thus, our favorite place is no longer as readily accessible.

Then we discovered Gourmandises in Suwanee – HOORAY!! Although the atmosphere leaves something to be desired, the food is amazing. (I would actually LOVE to help the owners redecorate the interior at no charge, because it so desperately needs some help.)

So on to the most important part….THE FOOD! Gourmandises’ steak specials are perhaps the best steaks I’ve ever eaten. I took my husband there for the ribeye special one night, and he never looked up till his plate was empty. My man of few words finally stopped eating and said: “That was the best steak I’ve ever had.” My two boys love Gourmandises as well, and love going there as a special treat. We split the steak special between them, with an extra order of fries and salad. My 7-year-old also likes teaching himself French from the basket of French children’s books by the register. Nice touch.

The pastries are also great. The Lemon Dome is crazy good, and I don’t even like lemon!! But the one that wakes me up at night is the Chocolate Creme Brulee. I’m usually a dark chocolate girl, but Gourmandises’ version of this has the perfect amount of chocolate: not too much to overpower the delicate custard flavor, but enough that you can taste that it is really good chocolate that is used in this dessert.

All right, now I’ve made myself hungry. I’d better go check out today’s specials….;)

4 Teee Ray { 03.17.11 at 1:13 pm }

Ok. You talked me into it! I gotta try this place!

5 Atlanta Food Critic { 03.17.11 at 1:15 pm }

I think you’ll like it – we sure did. Hang out and talk with them too! They’re super people (and they didn’t have a clue as to who we were).

6 Crystal { 06.22.13 at 9:34 pm }

Does anyone know where to find Chef Jennifer Allen? She was the pastry chef @ Cafe Gourmandises. My husband is craving her Napoleons!

7 Atlanta Food Critic { 06.24.13 at 7:31 am }

A quick Google search I found a Chef Jennifer Allen as the Sous Chef at the Williamsburg VA airport. Not sure if it’s the same one you’re looking for though… -=Randy